[Kolab-devel] More guam fixes in 0.9.7 (with eimap 0.4.2)

Christian Mollekopf mollekopf at kolabsys.com
Thu Apr 16 11:53:26 CEST 2020

Hi,

Last week I spent some time brushing up my erlang and doing some guam
development.

There is now a test-suite that should cover all the patches that have
accumulated over the past years and have been integrated into 0.9.6

I then also looked into some issues with clients that pipeline commands
(that means they just send multiple commands at once without waiting for
a reply from the server, which can be valid depending on the commands).

This lead to the following changes lined up for guam 0.9.7 and eimap
0.4.2:
* Commands coming from the client are now processed line by line, so
pipelined commands that end up in the same network packet are processed
correctly.
* The same would have to happen with replies coming from the server,
which lead to a patch for eimap (lined up for 0.4.2), that doesn't quite
do that correctly, but fixes the one bug that I found related to this
(the getmetadata processing necessary for filtering of groupware
folders).

This also allowed me to remove some odd workarounds that we started to
accumulate in various places, while hopefully not re-introducing any
failures (since the relevant scenarios are covered by tests now).

Another significant change is that I have enabled two debug messages
logging all traffic (after terminating ssl and decompressing) from
client and server, which means the "debug" level which is not enabled by
default will be a *lot* noisier, but also finally useful for collecting
the necessary info that we require for reproducing issues. I think this
could be further enhanced with a logging feature called tracing,
allowing to collect output from only certain messages in a separate
file.

Guam 0.9.7 should already be in winterfell, for eimap 0.4.2 you can find
packages here:
http://obs.kolabsys.com/repositories/home:/mollekopf:/branches:/Kolab:/Winterfell/

Let me know if you run into new or further issues.

Cheers,
Christian
--
Christian Mollekopf