[Kolab-devel] Kolab releases - Debian 8 is going LTS

Christoph Erhardt christoph.erhardt at sicherha.de
Tue Jul 3 08:20:03 CEST 2018

Hi Jochen,

I have good news for you! :-)

Official support for Debian Stretch was introduced in Kolab 16 a few weeks
ago. The upgrade from Jessie to Stretch involves a bit of manual labour due to
the migration from PHP 5 to 7: one may have to make sure that all PHP 5
packages are replaced with their PHP 7 counterparts. Fortunately, that's an
O(1) thing. I did the upgrade two months ago and everything is working as
smoothly as before.

There is one slightly ugly issue with the repository's SHA-1 signature, but it
can be worked around - see https://git.kolab.org/T3820#56836 for details.

I maintain my recommendation against using Winterfell in production because it
doesn't provide any stability guarantees. Things may break at any time.

By the way: actually, the diff between Kolab 16 and Winterfell isn't that big.
Changes from Winterfell are routinely flowing into 16 - which makes Kolab 16 a
kind of rolling release, I guess.

The one major difference I can name off the top of my head is that Winterfell
ships an alpha version of the new Elastic theme. Lacking inside knowledge, I
presume that's supposed to be the defining feature of Kolab 18.

Best regards,
Christoph