[Kolab-devel] Kolab 16 for Debian

Timotheus Pokorra timotheus at kolab.org
Sat Oct 29 08:23:15 CEST 2016

Hello developers of Kolab,

Looking again at what was said at the Kolab Summit 2.0 in June this year.
http://www.pokorra.de/2016/06/videos-from-the-kolab-summit-2-0-with-some-minutes-taken/

quoting my notes:
Operating System: Alternate: Debian, Ubuntu LTS; Docker+Kubernetes (as
target platform). Aaron “expects one or more of these two to move from
alternate up to primary in the not too distant future. Again, this is
driven by demand and usage.”

I certainly think there is demand for a Debian version of Kolab 16. I
hear that on the IRC.
It seems to me that many of the community who are using Kolab at home
are using Debian.
We don't want to lose them. We need usage of Kolab, to find errors and issues.
Some companies using Kolab on Debian are already switching to CentOS,
which is fine. But I wonder if the private users will do that.

Question: do we have a plan for Kolab 16 on Debian?
How do we count if there is enough demand?
Is there a time plan?
Do we need help from the community?
Should we offer a slimmed down version of Kolab (without guam) if
Erlang packaging is a problem? (I don't know if it is)
Are there any known packaging problems of Kolab 16 for Debian? What is
holding us back?

Looking forward to answers!

Timotheus