[Kolab-devel] Moving the reference platform one step forward

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Wed Mar 18 18:13:06 CET 2015

On 2015-03-18 17:50, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 17:35:47 +0100
> "Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems)" <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com> wrote:
>

>> I would appreciate your comments and ideas before the official hammer
>> comes down ;-)
>>
> I can only speak for my own company but here RHEL 7.x will not be an
> issue before ultimo 2016, maybe even 2017.
>
> When have approx. 350 RHEL servers running 1% RHEL 4, 45% RHEL 5, and
> 64% RHEL 6 and to my understanding this is the general landskab in RHEL
> land.
>
> The reason for holding back on RHEL 7 is that RHEL 7 is fundamentally
> different from RHEL < 7 which means a wast majority of administrative
> scripts and automation infrastructure will need a substantial rewrite.
> You should also bare in mind that RHEL 6 will be supported until
> November 30, 2020.

Yes, I acknowledge the facts of life and I'm not saying support for
Enterprise Linux 6 will be dropped completely from the Kolab community.
Our reference platform is not, has not been and will not be the sole
platform (version) supported.

However, the Kolab community moves forward not unlike Fedora moves
forward -- not free of bugs, but more importantly, preferably not
burdened with legacy.

It is largely up to people-on-payroll to run in the necessary tedious
circles to ensure legacy remains entertained, as one cannot require a
volunteer to entertain enterprisey needs in his/her spare time.

For as far as corporations and other organizations with professional IT
departments seek to continue to run primarily Enterprise Linux 6 and/or
generally avoid Enterprise Linux 7; those have two options:

   #.  Participate in the Kolab community ensuring the community releases
continue to run correctly on Enterprise Linux 6, either doing the work
themselves or getting someone to do it for them, which may or may not
include Kolab Systems employees, any of its partners, and/or
funding/sponsoring community members in monetary form or otherwise
(event trip's expenses, beer @ FOSDEM, you name it),

   #.  Install a long-term supported Kolab Enterprise release under
professional support.

For the record, we (Kolab Systems) are also running in to the platform
upgrade conundrum ourselves (from RHEL 6 to RHEL 7).

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--
Systems Architect, Kolab Systems AG