[Kolab-devel] Kolab Debian Packages

Sergio Talens-Oliag sto at iti.es
Tue Jan 20 10:51:16 CET 2015

El Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 09:31:49AM +0100, Timotheus Pokorra va escriure:
> Hello Sergio,
>
> On 2015-01-15 10:35, Sergio Talens-Oliag wrote:
> >El Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 05:38:33PM +0100, Timotheus Pokorra va escriure:
> >>Have a look at this post:
> >>http://kolab.org/blog/timotheus-pokorra/2013/11/04/howto-improve-debian-packages-using-obs
> >>
> >>You are welcome to push requests on OBS!
> >
> >OK, I'll try to look at it this weekend and will report back at the
> >begining
> >of next week... ;)
>
> I hope we have not worked both on the same issue.

Yep, we have, but that is OK, I only had time to test the obs system last
friday; to test it I did a first fix of the debian.rules for the
rounducube-kolab-plugins package that looks quite similar to yours, but I
didn't test it and couldn't do anything else during the weekend, so there was
no real duplication (I had to try obs anyway and what I did was really
minor... ;)

> I was busy yesterday and today and have fixed quite a lot of issues of the
> Debian build in Kolab:Development.
>
> The assets should now be in the right place.

Great, I'm repeating my installation to review the documentation, I'll install
the latest packages to check that everything works.

> Also the database setup in setup-kolab has now the patch applied that is
> needed.

Great.

> Unfortunately, the OBS currently does not show the build logs, so it is
> quite difficult to know why a build failed...

When I tested OBS I ended up doing local builds now, so I'll probably do that
from now on.

> I hope this year we will have functioning Debian packages on release date,
> which is beginning/middle of February...

Great news, I'm testing everything right now to deploy kolab at work, so the
timing is perfect for me ... ;)

> Still more testing and probably fixes are needed...

Perfect, I don't have a regular Kolab deployment, but I'll test and fix
everything I'm using now and will report any problems I find.

A couple of questions:

- If I find packaging bugs should I file bug reports at issues.kolab.org or
  send mails here?

  As I want to have fixes ASAP I would probably branch and try to fix the OBS
  packages, so the plan is to report bugs with patches, if possible.

- I'm integrating Kolab in an existing infraestructure that uses postfix, dovecot,
  openldap and dspam among others; that means that I'm not usign some
  components (spamassasin, clamav, kolab-webadmin, ...) and that I need to
  patch some parts of the code (right now all of them is related to dovecot).

  I've submited some of the changes for inclusion, but others need more work
  to be sent for inclusion (i.e. I've writen a simple dovecot driver for
  pykolab, but it only has the functionalities I needed to make wallace work,
  so I don't believe it should go upstream as is, mainly because it isn't well
  tested and probably needs to be rewriten to be useful for general use).

  Is it OK if I keep a branch in Kolab's OBS for the packages I need to modify
  that include my changes as debian patches? I can keep the changes on my own
  repositories, but using OBS seems a better choice because it makes it easier
  to follow upstream development and packaging and maybe the packages can be
  useful for others.

Thanks in advance,

  Sergio.

--
Sergio Talens-Oliag <sto at iti.es>               <http://www.iti.es/>
Key fingerprint = FF77 A16B 9D09 FC7B 6656 CFAD 261D E19A 578A 36F2