[Kolab-devel] current state/future of debian packages ?

Timotheus Pokorra timotheus at kolab.org
Tue Jan 20 10:08:49 CET 2015

Hello Matthias,

> personally I am waiting for a few updates to make it onto my kolab
> installation. so far the whole process of how the patches and updates
> in sources get magically turned apt-get upgrade results is still
> somewhat eluding me.
On IRC, Jeroen explained it like to this (in my own words):
The people at Kolab Systems work on Kolab:Development, which is
available to the community.
Kolab Systems make a new release, and publish the Kolab release.
The maintenance of Kolab:Updates is up to the community.
Kolab Systems have their own Enterprise branch, where they apply patches
from Kolab:Development.
The enterprise branch is obviously private.

The process to get fixes into Kolab:Updates is to add a request on OBS.
This request will be reviewed by members of the community, and hopefully
accepted.
see https://obs.kolabsys.com/group/show/kolab-developers
These people have permissions to integrate stuff in Kolab:Updates.

> I would be willing to invest some time myself to help that process,
> but before even thinking about that I wanted to know who is working on
> that already.

> Additionally, I have no experience with OBS or building from source
> (other than wget/follow instruction/make) or creating packages so it
> may just be that I would more disturb a well oiled machine instead of
> helping it run... And I really would not want to step on someones
> toes...
Don't worry. Your help is always welcome. Reporting bugs or reminding
that it needs fixing also is help...

> And in the end it could just be that there is not really much left to
> do and the "waiting period" between a change in source and me getting
> a the package is quality control. which should not be compromised...
I have just made an effort to fix Kolab Development packages for Debian,
which was quite some work.
I suspect there is still enough to do.
To help speed up fixes to Kolab Updates is to create a request in OBS,
as described above. Better small than big, so that it is easy to review
:)

Quality control: I run nightly tests against Kolab Development and Kolab
Updates:
https://lbs.solidcharity.com/package/tbits.net/kolab-test/kolab-test
Other than that I don't know of regular quality control from the
community side.
Obviously everyone that installs Kolab does some validation and testing
first.
Kolab Systems probably have their own quality control, but that does not
affect/cover Kolab Updates I assume.

All the best,
   Timotheus