[Kolab-devel] current state/future of debian packages ?

Timotheus Pokorra timotheus at kolab.org
Wed Jan 14 16:44:41 CET 2015

Hello Matthias,

> what is the current state of the kolab debian packages?
There are two goals that are very different:

One goal is to get Kolab into the Debian distribution. This is what Paul
Boddie refers to.
The other goal is to just install Kolab on a Debian installation, a
dedicated server doing nothing else than Kolab.

The first goal is a huge task, and at the moment Kolab is far from
reaching that goal.
Paul explains all the problems in his blog post.

The other goal is working: Kolab is built on OBS and you can install it
on a dedicated Debian machine.
This means you use the 389 directory server and Cyrus IMAP on Debian.

> As far as I know they are being maintained by voluenteers of the
> community.
> but who?
Daniel Hoffend, Torsten Grote and others on this mailinglist have a
personal interest to have Kolab run on Debian.
Sometimes I also help out.
Since Kolab is provided for Univention UCS as well, which is Debian
based, Jeroen himself also works on the Debian packages.

I hope this clarifies things.

All the best,
   Timotheus