[Kolab-devel] iTip Invitation Handling Notes

Thomas Brüderli bruederli at kolabsys.com
Mon Mar 24 12:56:42 CET 2014

Hello devs and list lurkers

As you all know, Kolab strongly enforces the use of public standards
which includes iTIP and iMIP for event invitations and task assignments.

While there are RFCs specifying the protocol, the actual implementation
in the various clients may vary depending on the interpretation of the
standards. For the official Kolab clients we'd like to unify the
behavior and the user interactions related to iTip notifications. For a
start, I created a new wiki page that paraphrases RFC 5546 and suggests
the concrete behavior of a client, when receiving an iTip message:

https://wiki.kolab.org/User:Bruederli/Draft:iTip_Invitation_Handling_Notes

Please note that this document describes *a* possibility how to react on
iTip messages and is yet a draft. Also it doesn't necessarily reflect
the current implementation of either Kontact or Roundcube. It's meant to
become the official guide for adapting all clients towards a common
solution.

Those who are interested are kindly invited to read the suggestions and
to enter the discussion. The page still contains some questions that
seek for answers.

Kind regards,
Thomas