[Kolab-devel] Kolab on RaspberryPi

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Mar 12 19:23:52 CET 2014

On Wednesday 12. March 2014 10.04.51 hede wrote:
> > http://whvneo.blogspot.com/p/preparation.html
>
> I did it nearly the same way. With small changes, for example
> using the Sources-file as the source for packages:
>
> wget http://obs.kolabsys.com:82/Kolab:/3.2/Debian_7.0/Sources -O - | \
> grep "Package:" | sed -e "s/Package: //"
>
> ... I think that doesn't matter.

I also have some tools to mine the OBS index listing. :-)

> And it seems you came across some problems I had. A patched cyrus-imapd is
> in the repository, which won't build this way. (I assume, because your
> binaries do not include it)
>
> I compile it manually:
> apt-get source --only-source cyrus-imapd
> apt-get build-dep --only-source cyrus-imapd
> cd cyrus-imapd-2.5~dev2014011701/  # version changes
> dpkg-buildpackage -j4 -us -uc # quad core here, remove "-j4" on RasPi
> cd ..
>
> This should be done before or after all other packages, because it depends
> on heimdal-dev, while other kolab packages need libkrb5-dev and both
> packages are mutually exclusive.

By the time I got the OBS version of cyrus-imapd, the various problems seemed
to be fixed, although the metadata problem needed patching in libcalendaring.
Using pbuilder mostly solves the issues of build dependencies, especially if
they are "normal" Debian archive packages.

> But that doesn't matter either, because stock cyrus-imapd from Debian is
> fine for running kolab. Those kolab-cyrus-patches needed in the past (with
> Kolab 2) are upstream by now. (e.g. annotations, folder types, etc.) And
> the new features of the patched cyrus 2.4 or new cyrus 2.5 are not
> mandatory.

Yes, I think I was running cyrus-imapd from Debian before. The metadata change
actually involved using the official IMAP protocol extension rather than the
unofficial one, it would seem, and although cyrus supports the official one
now, it was the client library that wasn't happy about this change.

> > I imagine you almost wish you could cross-build
> > the packages on some serious hardware. ;-)
>
> There are HowTos for Raspbian Cross Compiling on x86 out there.
>
> (For me that doesn't matter, my Cortex Quad Core builds kolab in minutes,
> not hours.)

Well, I'm still looking for usable Debian-based package cross-building tools.
Although there is stuff like pdebuild-cross, a lot of the "how to" documents
are thinly spread across a range of tools that have all been evolving (or
becoming obsolete and being replaced with newer tools), with the "current
advice" seemingly changing on a month-by-month basis. "Bare" cross-building
using a toolchain is probably fairly straightforward, but doing a full
pdebuild and getting foreign binaries in /var/cache still seems very
difficult.

But by all means point me to documents that show it actually being done (and
not how it should happen in theory). :-)

> > But as you have shown, there's often little reason for packages not to be
> > available for an architecture as long as the software is portable and
> > cleanly packaged.
>
> Yes, he did. Great work. But - and please, excuse my simplemindedness -
> why didn't I show so some days before then, when I proclaimed doing the
> same!? Maybe because my humble mind doesn't matter?
>
> [Sorry, I couldn't resist in alluding my overmuch usage of "doesn't matter"
> ;-) ]

I offer encouragement to you and recognition of your achievements, too, if you
like. ;-)

Paul