[Kolab-devel] Can't get throught setup-kolab

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Jun 6 00:32:10 CEST 2014

(Redirecting to the development list.)

On Thursday 5. June 2014 18.10.39 Torsten Grote wrote:
> On Thursday 05 June 2014 17:57:19 Paul Boddie wrote:
> > Unfortunately, some of my refactoring was a bit too invasive, making for
> > awkward large merges that perhaps don't encourage the code getting merged
> > with the main branch, but you  never know.
>
> I'm still for topic branches where one branch is for one new feature or fix
> to be merged easily ;)

I guess I am in favour of them as well, but I don't see me getting round to
redoing anything to make lots of conveniently mergeable branches any time
soon, purely because of personal time constraints more than anything else.

Although I think the adoption of something like the services module would be
useful in making the other code a bit cleaner...

http://git.kolab.org/pykolab/tree/pykolab/setup/services.py?h=dev/boddie

...I guess you have to take the benefits to the other setup modules, and the
consequence of all that work is just somewhat improved behaviour for a program
that people hopefully only use on occasion (or maybe they just ignore it and
muddle their way through the configuration process by other means).

I may not really have time to look very much at the Debian-related process for
installing and configuring Kolab in the next few months, either, but I'm a lot
happier with the packages I've produced myself than I was with the ones that
are otherwise available, and I don't believe that people are having a great
deal of success with those standard Debian and Ubuntu packages, so at least I
feel somewhat vindicated doing that particular work.

(People even seem to struggle with installing and configuring on CentOS
despite being told that it's the closest to a supported option, suggesting
that it also needs attention that it isn't really getting at the moment.)

I hope I'll be able to spend a bit more time looking into all this later in
the summer, but for now I think that the general difficulty level is turning
people away from Kolab, which is a shame because once set up it manages to do
mostly what it is supposed to.

Paul