[Kolab-devel] Fedora packaging

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Jan 28 15:10:25 CET 2014

On Tuesday 28. January 2014 14.21.47 Karel Volný wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Fedora 20 packages are, at the moment, only being built for
> > Kolab:Development.
> >
> > If somebody feels inclined to also have Kolab
> > 3.1 available for Fedora 20, all one needs to do is ask.
>
> Not sure about the interest among others, but since F20 is out ..
>
> But if I'm going to play with packages to review, I'd rather install (and
> test) those being developed than from OBS.

Right now, the ones from OBS are still the ones being officially developed, as
I understand it. There is a separate Debian packaging initiative (pkg-kolab),
but it only seems to cover a few packages at this point, and I'm not too sure
what the functional differences are between those packages and the ones from
OBS. Certainly, the packages I've rebuilt all came from OBS originally.

It is, however, the case that I've done work on pykolab both in terms of the
packaging and the actual code itself, and such work is currently outside both
OBS and pkg-kolab because the actual code changes will need integrating with
the upstream sources (even though the functional benefits are mainly related
to packaging).

[...]

> > The packages I believe need to be included in Fedora are:
> >    http://obs.kolabsys.com:82/Kolab:/Development/Fedora_20/src/
>
> so, looking at the dependency graphs, I'd think that pykolab could be the
> next step ... that doesn't seem to be like an easy one for the start :-/

Note that the pykolab software distribution contains a number of components
that end up in different packages (at least on Debian). So although it looks
as if a lot of things need to be packaged, as you can see from the "current"
dependency graph the group of packages including one called pykolab are
actually all produced by a single source package.

And pykolab is quite quick to build as a package unlike libkolab and
libkolabxml, so it isn't that painful to work on.

Paul