[Kolab-devel] Fedora packaging

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Jan 23 20:22:51 CET 2014

On Thursday 23. January 2014 20.02.53 Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems)
wrote:
> On 2014-01-23 19:13, Paul Boddie wrote:
> > Right. People don't really want to have to override their repository
> > settings
> > to get some alternative packages. Having distro-upstream support also
> > makes a
> > strong statement about the maturity and viability of software.
>
> Just for your information: I myself am the upstream-upstream Cyrus IMAP
> release manager, and there's this case about the Roundcube guys as well.
>
> The packages, in that sense, are exemplary bad examples.

So, it's the distribution packagers who need to "catch up"? I guess that's
always a concern: I can think of packages where upstream developers have been
frustrated by the way the packaging has been done, one case in particular
involving the packagers ignoring the automated content upgrade support in the
software in question and getting their users to do a lot of manual work
instead, ostensibly through either ignorance or by needlessly asserting a "do
it our way" policy which made no sense.

But I guess the goal is to apply gentle persuasion so that people ultimately
do the right thing.

Paul