[Kolab-devel] XMPP and more packaging experimentation

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Feb 25 01:14:57 CET 2014

Hello,

As those of you following Planet Kolab may have seen, I recently wrote up some
vague experiences with ejabberd, Converse(.js), Roundcube and Kolab:

http://blogs.fsfe.org/pboddie/?p=741

There isn't much specific detail in that article, but it does indicate that
there's a slightly complicated dance involving an XMPP server, the LDAP
server, Converse, and Apache.

Alongside this, I've been thinking about how tightly coupled the different
services have been in the existing Debian packaging, and I imagine that the
situation is largely the same for other distributions.

So I decided to experiment with making a "kolab-minimal" metapackage which
only includes the Web-based components plus the command line tools and kolabd.
I'll admit that it's hard to know where best to draw the line, but I started
out with the realisation that LDAP might very well be provided by a separate
server or infrastructure, and then I wondered whether the IMAP and SMTP parts
wouldn't also be provided separately, too.

I'm not claiming that putting things on different machines is necessarily a
great idea, and I'm not advocating doing this from a load distribution
perspective (and I'm sure that there are other ways of distributing workloads
that I have not yet considered, anyway). Instead, from a packaging and
configuration perspective, I think there are some things that perhaps get
tested in interesting but valid ways by separating the different components
out that might not otherwise get tested in an "all on one machine"
environment.

To this end, I've made my own packaging repositories available at the
following location:

http://hgweb.boddie.org.uk/Kolab/

There's more work to be done, and the pykolab work to support this is still
pending integration with upstream, but I thought that someone might find these
ideas interesting enough to comment on them.

Paul