[Kolab-devel] XMPP integration in Kolab web client

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun Feb 16 15:17:51 CET 2014

On Saturday 15. February 2014 01.10.42 Paul Boddie wrote:
> On Thursday 6. February 2014 16.44.44 Jindřich Skácel wrote:
> > just want let you know that I got up and running ejabberd with LDAP auth
> > (just clients for now, OS CentOS). Hopefully will have some time to get
> > try XMPP integration in Kolab also during this week. I will let you know
> >
> > :)
> >
> > Anyway.. configuration of ejabberd:
> >
> > {auth_method, ldap}.
> > {ldap_servers, ["localhost"]}.
> > {ldap_encrypt, none}.
> > {ldap_rootdn, "uid=kolab-service,ou=Special Users,dc=domain,dc=com"}.
> > {ldap_password, "ultr4secUr3p4ssw0rd"}.
> > {ldap_base, "ou=People,dc=domain,dc=com"}.
> > {ldap_uids, [{"mail", "%u at domain.com"}]}.
> > {ldap_filter, "(objectClass=inetOrgPerson)"}.

Following up to myself here...

> Thanks for providing this! It makes the lives of those of us who aren't
> familiar with ejabberd a bit easier. I've made a setup-kolab component for
> ejabberd, which I'll make available fairly soon, that edits the
> configuration file to enable these settings.

This setup-kolab work is still ongoing, although I managed to merge the
upstream 3.2 code with my own changes to pykolab and to test the package, as
other recent messages from me have confirmed.

One thing I found I had to change was the ldap_uids setting to use "alias"
instead of "mail". I thought that this may have something to do with the
identity used to log into Roundcube - I used "boddie" which was allocated by
the webadmin, although "paul.boddie" also seems to work - but it appears that
the plugin uses the short form of my identity to authenticate with the XMPP
server.

I'm actually using a separated LDAP/Apache and XMPP architecture, meaning that
I'm also having to deploy a proxy on the Roundcube side to pass requests to
the XMPP server as described here:

https://conversejs.org/docs/html/index.html#connection-manager

This means that I should possibly also consider making a setup component for
Converse that enables the plugin in Roundcube - it is missing from
/etc/roundcubemail/config.inc.php - and to deploy any necessary proxying
support in Apache.

Anyway, with some changes to the Debian roundcubemail-plugin-converse package
(installing into /usr/roundcubemail and not /usr/share/roundcubemail until I
fixed it) and with some extra tweaks to configuration files, it seems to work
now.

Nice work on the different components, everyone! ;-)

Paul