[Kolab-devel] PHP composer and packaging

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Wed Feb 5 11:32:44 CET 2014

On 05.02.2014 11:05, Thomas Brüderli wrote:
> Hello folks
>
> With Roundcube, the Kolab Webadmin Panel, iRony and Synchroton, Kolab
> has plenty of components aboard which are written in PHP. And obviously
> not all of them re-invent the wheel and use external libraries to do
> useful stuff. And, if you're familiar with PHP, you know about the lack
> of a sophisticated package and dependency management in PHP.
>
> There is (or used to be) PEAR to serve the purpose of a central package
> repository. But unfortunately PEAR is slowly loosing its position and
> the libraries get more and more outdated. This mainly because there's a
> new star on the sky that obviously attracts PHP coders: composer [1].

Composer is the same story as rubygems - a dependency nightmare for
distribution packagers with a lot of edges to look for. Composer is
suited well for its intended use case but I doubt this is what fits
kolab best.

In production, many business users prefer distribution-packaged versions
of applications. This said, a lot of pear project simply moved to own
pear channels (pirum) instead of the main repository mostly due to
coding standards reasons. Others do pear and composer in parallel.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer
Mail: lang at b1-systems.de