[Kolab-devel] Upgradepath towards 3.1

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Sun Sep 15 12:17:26 CEST 2013

On 2013-09-14 20:58, de Raad, Hans wrote:
> Hi Jeroen,
>
> thanks again for the clarifications, might i try a quick summary?
> This to try and find the cleanest possible upgrade path.
>
> 1. Upgrade all packages to the devel version
> 2. Run setup-kolab imap
> 2.1 Remove squatter:
> http://hosted.kolabsys.com/~vanmeeuwen/build/html/administrator-guide/upgrading-from-kolab-3.0.html#the-use-of-squatter
> 3. Run setup-kolab mta
> 4. Run setup-kolab roundcube
> 4.1 Dont be scared of errors about already existing databases
> (improvement might be possible here?)
> 4.2 Manually check schema updates (improvement might be possible here?)
> rpm -ql roundcubemail roundcubemail-plugins-kolab | grep sql
>
> And by now one would run 3.1?
>
> If this is the case, i'd like to offer to create an update script
> performing these steps.

That would be great, I would appreciate notes and feedback on what else
may need to happen for an upgrade process.

That said, if we start to iterate over the things we might look at
doing;

- check and optionally prepare various aspects of the system, and
- setup components (all of them or part of them), and
- update / upgrade components,

we might want to start looking at how useful the current setup-kolab.py
is exactly. Additionally I can add to this list;

- a functioning '--yes' that just walks through the preparations and
setup with default values,
- a functioning '--demo' that seeds some sample data in to the
environment,
- a variety of options along the lines of: --with-ldap=openldap,
--with-imap=dovecot, --with-sql=postgres.

So perhaps it is time to design all of that properly.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--
Systems Architect, Kolab Systems AG