[Kolab-devel] Upgradepath towards 3.1

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Wed Sep 11 14:38:33 CEST 2013

On 2013-09-10 21:56, de Raad, Hans wrote:
> LS,
>
> with the compelling features of Kolab 3.1 in reach, i'm very interested
> in both a timeline as well as an upgrade path. Would it be possible to
> provide such information?
>
> I'd like to inquire about the following:
>
> - what is the current release planning for Kolab 3.1
>
> - would it be possible to upgrade partially (ie, implement the SabreDav
> components and filesharing)?
>
> - will there be an upgrade-kolab script provided (in spirit of the very
> usefull setup-kolab)?
>
> These answers would enable me to setup more testing sites at real-life
> customer installs, since it seems that the Kolab package itself is
> pretty much unchanged, as well as its primary dependencies.
>
> Looking forward to the new release!

Hi Hans,

the kolab package itself is largely unchanged because it is only used as
a meta-package to pull in various dependencies - we've only introduced
two new ones for Kolab 3.1, being chwala and iRony.

chwala and iRony (with WebDAV) both depend on a more recent version of
libkolabxml, and libkolab than ships with Kolab 3.0, but not for the
obvious reason (files) - a very mysterious chain of dependencies makes
chwala and iRony depend on the latest roundcubemail, and the latest
roundcubemail-plugins-kolab, versions of which cannot just be mixed and
mangled (probably the cost of moving forward as fast).

That said, IMAP is still IMAP (replace /etc/imapd.annotations.conf with
the new version for CardDAV / CalDAV compatibility),
iRony/chwala/roundcube/syncroton from Kolab 3.1 can run on a different
server (than MTA/LDAP, components that might have updates but do not
require updates, and there's no further schema changes) and as such one
could "stage" an upgrade...

That said, the upgrade path is far from described in detail. I'm working
on both the actual documentation as well as the upgrade path /
changelog[1].

This, and [2], might help you see why I can't really say all that much
about a timeline.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

[1]