[Kolab-devel] Hello Kolab Devs

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Mon Sep 9 21:03:40 CEST 2013

On 2013-08-19 14:16, James Mills wrote:
> Heya all :)
>
> Quick hi. I'm James Mills. I'm a Python Developer :)
> I'll try to help out as much as I can time permitting
> (family, wife, daughter, work, etc).
>
> Are there any immediate things I can look at in pykolab?

Hi James,

sorry to get back to your introduction email so late - meanwhile we've
spoken on IRC a lot ;-)

I suppose there's plenty to do on / with pykolab. I have to say while
I'd like to think I'm a pretty smart (or, pretty, smart) guy - I'm also
not a programmer - but I can write lots of code really fast.

This means there's very probably a variety of cases, corner-cases, race
conditions and other sorts of n00b errors that are or are not (covered)
by the current code-base.

For example, just the other day I found that case-sensitivity in mail
attribute values does not translate for pykolab in to what mail host the
mailbox might actually reside on, causing it to fall back to a default
of whatever is the server address configured to initially connect to
(for the domain).

Another one - in the same realm - has to do with finding mailboxes for a
domain (LDAP can hold DOMAIN.TLD, but IMAP only holds, depending on the
normalize_uid setting, domain.tld - not the same as DOMAIN.TLD), and so
forth, and so forth.

I've started creating (nose) test-cases for pykolab, that is probably
the way we want to move forward. The tests are split in two parts (unit
and functional). For a series of functional tests one has to have set up
a Kolab system beforehand, for which I recommend using domain
"example.org" and root dn "dc=example,dc=org" - and all passwords set to
"Welcome2KolabSystems" - this enables the use of kolab-scripts[1] as
well, without modifications.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

[1] http://git.kolab.org/kolab-scripts/tree/