[Kolab-devel] Packaging Kolab for Multiple Platforms -> OBS?

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Fri Sep 6 15:16:48 CEST 2013

Hi there,

Ever since we have successfully moved away from the out-dated and now
proprietary OpenPKG for Kolab Groupware distribution, a number of us
have been maintaining packages for a variety of distributions.

This has proven to be a lengthy, sluggish process, for Kolab Systems (I
myself in fact) focused primarily on the reference platform Enterprise
Linux 6, while various community members and sometimes also Kolab
Systems employees worked on Debian, openSUSE, SUSE, Ubuntu and other
platform packages.

This has proven to be quite expensive, not to say prohibitively so, and
therefore a couple of months ago I have started to look in to using the
openSUSE Build System for packaging the community edition of Kolab
Groupware.

This too has proven a lengthy process, for which I'm continuing to
figure out various things and aspects as they arise. That said, however,
I have just now performed my first rather successful "yum -y install
kolab && setup-kolab" on a CentOS 6 box, with packages from this OBS.

This means I will now start documenting what I did, why I did it (the
way I did it), and I that I'm interested in learning what else we might
need to do should we ultimately decide to make a final switch from our
current methodology of building and distributing Kolab Groupware
software, to this brand new one.

Please note that I have started packaging a version of Kolab 3.0 as
"Kolab:Development". I will attempt to branch this off as "Kolab:3.0",
to then move "Kolab:Development" forward towards what will become
"Kolab:3.1", hopefully soon enough.

For those of you who are interesting in helping, I would like to request
you create an account, then a home project, and start contributing and
building. We'll have to figure out what the process of merging stuff
would look like exactly, so please bear with me while you go at it.

   Web URL: https://obs.kolabsys.com/
   API URL: https://obs.kolabsys.com:444/

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen