[Kolab-devel] Announcing some blog posts for building packages for Debian on OBS

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Tue Oct 29 18:17:51 CET 2013

On 2013-10-28 20:23, Paul Boddie wrote:
> On Monday 28. October 2013 16.43.12 Torsten Grote wrote:
>> The instructions are really easy and work well. If you want to use
>> Kolab on
>> Debian, please consider trying them out and contribute back. I see
>> that
>> some people already started to:
>>

>> https://obs.kolabsys.com/project/show?project=home%3Abillnogo%3Abranches%3
>> AKolab%3ADevelopment
>
> I was wondering which project we should be targeting. I see there are
> "3.1"
> and "Development" projects, and when I tried to build the "Development"
> packages myself there seemed to be some kind of fundamental
> (non-packaging-
> related) build issue, whereas the "3.1" packages didn't exhibit the
> same
> problems.
>
> If we're fine-tuning the packaging is it best to target "3.1" in order
> to not
> have to deal with two different variables at the same time, or should
> it be
> safe to target the "Development" stuff? Also, where do the "Updates"
> come into
> this?

One should always target Kolab:Development, for what is fixed in
Kolab:3.1 or Kolab:3.1:Updates may be forgotten by the time
Kolab:Development becomes Kolab:3.2.

If the software version and compatibility with other software permits
it, the same work done for Kolab:Development could be submitted to
Kolab:3.1:Updates.

But, for "admission" in to Kolab:3.1:Updates, the conditions are a
little more strict;

   - no partial builds, what you commit must build across the board.
   - no minor version bumps unless it has passed quality assurance and
has an automatic upgrade path.
   - strict versioning on the "version-release" (i.e. like 1.0.1~0-kolab1
for APT), which;

     - must continue to be smaller for Kolab:3.1:Updates than for
Kolab:Development,
     - must not already exist.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen