[Kolab-devel] Kolab 3.1

Tormen my.nl.abos at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 10:56:31 CEST 2013

On 09/10/13 08:48, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 09, 2013 02:40:01 AM Tormen wrote:
>> On 08/10/13 20:37, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>>> I've just successfully completed an "aptitude install kolab" on a
>>> fresh Debian Wheezy system, configured to include "Kolab:3.1" and
>>> "Kolab:3.1:Updates".
>> I did NOT try with /updates/ (but only with Kolab:3.1) !
>> ... because for me /updates/ are something additional / optional that
>> comes after a base install ^^
>>
> Updates are good though, this is where future fixes will end up.
>
> For some additional speed as to what might get updated,
> Kolab:Development should *always* have the latest versions of things
> (but is unstable in that regard).

Hmm. Your answer gives me the impression that you did not understand my
point yet
(very probably because of my poor english and/or because I am too sleep
deprived!!).

So I will try to be more clear :)

Take for instance DEBIAN:
To install a base debian system, you need this one line:

    deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main

And this package repo is /self-contained/ and suffices to install a
running Debian.
Any unfulfilled packaged dependency within this Debian repository would
be a /bug/.

So to simply install a base system you do NOT need any sort of update
sources like:
    deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main
    # where the security will come from... once my debian is installed,
but not to install it ^^

    deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy-backports main
    # where some day-to-day software will come in its latest version and
glory (like libreoffice for instance), but again nothing you /need/ to
have in your sources.list in order to install debian.

> For some additional speed as to what might get updated,
> Kolab:Development should *always* have the latest versions of things
> (but is unstable in that regard).

I still think that any inter-package repository dependency (from a base
repo into an update repo) is a bug.

    [1] deb http://obs.kolabsys.com:82/Kolab:/3.1/Debian_7.0/ /
    [2] deb http://obs.kolabsys.com:82/Kolab:/3.1:/Updates/Debian_7.0/ /

[2] can depend on things from [1] ... if to fix a bug or get new
functionality there is a new dependency that has arise...
[1] should on the other hand not depend on [2], or else:
    This is not at all intuitive and conform how to how it usually works.
    Which is why I am writing you this to see if this is really the
dependency setup that you wanted.

Best,

Tormen.