[Kolab-devel] Doing it for the Pi

daniele+kolab at gobbetti.name daniele+kolab at gobbetti.name
Fri Mar 22 22:42:40 CET 2013

julian at halifax.rwth-aachen.de ha scritto:

>Hi Daniele,
>
>do you get Kolab 3 working on the Raspberry Pi? Which version do you
>have of the Raspberry Pi with 256MB or 512MB of RAM?

Hi Julian, hi all,

apologize for the long overdue answer, but issues with my ADSL at home
prevented me from having decent connectivity.
Anyways, of course I am willing to share the packages I built :)

Please be aware that:
- I am a long time debian user but first time package
builder
- the packages are not signed, they are provided as is. I merely built them
without touching the original sources, but you have to take my word for this.
- the process has some rough edges that I tried to document, but some steps
may be missing, don't proceed if you're a beginner!
- The packages are built from the source repository of kolab[1], and not the
git repositories, with the notable exception of syncrotron, that is built
from the git repo because it wasn't working
- I built also 389 from source, but it should be identical to the one
available on raspian repos, however I didn't try it.

Having said that, the packages are available here:
https://daniele.gobbetti.name/kolab-debs/

Please follow the directions contained in this file:
https://daniele.gobbetti.name/kolab-debs/00-kolab-installation.txt
It contains both the installation order (dpkg -i cannot solve dependencies on its own) as well as some steps you'll have to perform after installation.

A few words about performances:
-web interfaces work well, both roundcube and the webadmin.
- I don't know if it will work on 256Mb PIs because on
mine it's constantly above 300Mb of RAM usage
- clamav and freshclam are HUGE beasts, it took almost one minute for a mail to go from the sender to the recipient (both on the same PI). Unfortunately these packages are configured as dependencies, and I think this needs to be changed in order to get kolab3 working good on the raspi.

Calendar and contacts works really well through syncrotron (that's my use case scenario) on android.

>Regards
>Julian

Best Regards,
Daniele