[Kolab-devel] Hosting multiple domains

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Wed Apr 17 13:37:20 CEST 2013

On 2013-04-17 08:42, Timotheus Pokorra wrote:
> Hello Jeroen,

Hi Timotheus,

> I am sorry it took me a while to respond.

No worries ;-)

>> I suppose for (semi-)automated domain name space configuration like
>> this is to
>> really take of, we have to consider doing the following (alternative
>> outlined
>> below);
>>
>>   - Allow the specification of some sort of a domain_include_dir in
>> [kolab] in
>> kolab.conf(5). Let's say this will be /etc/kolab/domains.d/, or
>> possibly
>> /var/lib/kolab/domains.d/.
>
> I am a little bit confused. I can understand your sentence above of
> not wanting to write to config files when a domain is added. I think
> it is good.
>
> But your suggestion is still about working with config files, even if
> it is a separate config file for each domain.

If the configuration of a particular (primary) domain name space (and
its alias domain name spaces) is not configured in /etc/kolab/kolab.conf
itself, but through domain name space specific
/etc/kolab/domains.d/$domain.conf files, a deployment can then choose
whether or not to make this directory writeable for the 'apache' or
'www-data' user account under which the webserver runs.

If the configuration continues to be stored in the one file
/etc/kolab/kolab.conf, for deployments that love automation this file
would need to be made writeable to the 'apache' or 'www-data' user.

> Or could that information which is currently in kolab.conf
> (autocreate_folders, primary_mail) even be added to the information
> about the domain in "cn=kolab,cn=config"?

I'm not really a fan of storing this sort of run-time configuration in
LDAP, as I've always considered LDAP to be an object store, more so than
a value store.

That said, let's open the floor for a custom schema extension that
would allow these parameters to be stored in cn=kolab,cn=config (or
wherever the domain_base_dn might be).

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--