[Kolab-devel] CalDAV Collections vs. IMAP Folders

Jeroen van Meeuwen vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Mon Apr 1 11:44:16 CEST 2013

On Thursday, March 28, 2013 05:52:30 PM Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> On 2013-03-28 17:23, Thomas Brüderli wrote:
> > But let's wait for a final word from our system architect before we
> > nail this down in a KEP.
>
> Indeed. He'll be back next week - plus we'll all be in Berne together,
> I am sure we'll work out the details.

So, if I understand correctly:

- *DAV clients expect to be able to refer to any given collection (=>
Calendar) by UID (=> /shared/vendor/kolab/dav-uid).

  This applies to CardDAV as well, I suppose?

- As the DAV client creates the collection, supposedly it uses either
DAV:displayname in the MKCALENDAR command, or issues a PROPPATCH to change the
DAV:displayname property;

- First creating a event.default sub-folder with the UID as the base name, to
then rename that folder to match the desired DAV:displayname does not seem an
unreasonable scenario to me (or, of course, keep the entire transaction
pending and create the IMAP folder only after the desired DAV:displayname has
been received). I suppose for existing calendars the IMAP folder base name can
be used as the initial DAV:displayname property to a collection resource,
until the user decides to set it to anything else.

- A client changing the display name of a calendar (collection resource) would
then basically have two options: 1) Rename the IMAP folder (from
Calendar/Personal to Calendar/Personal Calendar, possibly repositioning the
folder in the IMAP folder hierarchy?), or 2) set a different
/vendor/kolab/displayname metadata value.

There's ambiguity in there, I don't think can be simply addressed by stating
the usual MUSTs and SHOULDs in a KEP. I think perhaps it is best to use the
IMAP folder base name ("Personal" for "Calendar/Personal"), and have the IMAP
folder be renamed upon a change of this "title" (for admins). I would then
suggest the use of a /vendor/kolab/displayname metadata entry as an
internationalization feature (I say 日历, you say Kalender), which happens to
serve the DAV:displayname as well (IMAP folder rename for admins,
/private/vendor/kolab/displayname for mortals).

A "description" for a CalDAV calendar collection resource could indeed go to
/comment.

The CalDAV UID required could indeed go to /vendor/kolab/dav-uid (/shared
only, I reckon).

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--