[Kolab-devel] Thunderbird - SyncKolab 2.0.0 - Looking for Testers

Niko Berger berger at kolabsys.com
Fri May 25 10:06:40 CEST 2012

Quoting Geoff Nordli <geoffn at gnaa.net>:

> On 12-05-24 10:33 AM, Niko Berger wrote:
>> Quoting Geoff Nordli<geoffn at gnaa.net>:

>>> Hi Niko.
>>>
>>> Everything checked out here OK.
>>>
>>> One question, in the 2.0 version do you need to create a separate
>>> profile for the calendar, tasks and contacts?
>>>
>>> I seem to remember in previous versions a single profile covered all of
>>> the different components.
>>>
>>> thanks for your efforts on this.  It is great option to be able to use
>>> Thunderbird as client for Kolab.
>>>
>>> Geoff
>>>

>> Hi Geoff,
>>
>> Very good to hear some positive responses :)
>>
>> About the config: yes, in 2.0 I changed the configuration layout
>> around. This was mainly due to the requirement that you often have one
>> email account but multiple address books, and i.e. only one todo.
>> Until now to accomplish this configuration you had to create loads of
>> extra configs, but in each disable parts of it. It basically was a
>> little hard to manage.
>>
>> With the new way, I don't need the wizard any more and the
>> configuration is easier to handle.
>>

>> This is from an email I received:
>>
>> Typically, people have
>>
>>           <n>  Kolab servers, on each of which they have
>>                   <m>         Calendars
>>                   <i>                 Address books
>>                   <j>                 Task lists
>>
>> In professional scenarios,<n>  can easily be 3 or more.
>>
>> Most times,<n>  may be one, but in any case it is very unusual that

>> so people will often have
>>
>>           3 Calendars
>>           4 Address books
>>           5 Task lists
>>
>> where the shared objects will have little to no correlation with each other,
>> e.g.
>>
>>           My own calendar
>>           The event calendar of the company
>>           The calendar of my colleague
>>
>>           My own address book
>>           The address book for customers
>>           The address book for sales
>>           The address book for partners
>>
>>           My own task list
>>           The task list of SSL certificates that need renewing
>>           The task list of customer X
>>           The task list of customer Y
>>           The task list of customer Z
>>
>> These are not easily logically associated across categories, so one would be
>> adding 12 "configurations", one for each case/type, where typically
>> the Kolab
>> concept sees this as one configuration for this server, with 3 calendars, 4
>> address books, 5 task lists.
>>

> Are you not getting a lot of feedback?  To me, Thunderbird looks like
> one the better clients to use with Kolab since it works well on
> Mac/Windows and Linux.  I am surprised if more people don't use it.
>
> Yes, that makes a lot of sense to have separate profiles for each option.
>
> have a great day!!
>
> Geoff

Actually not really.... When I mess something up I get hammered, but
when a new release seems to work, everything is kind of calm, also
people are not too keen to use the nightlies (I think the never change
a running system factor is playing a big role there :P)

Another problem is, that people scatter their "bug reports". Some use
the comments on addons.mozilla.org - some use the mailing list, some
write me directly and some use bugzilla (furtnately thats finally the
majority!).

Niko