[Kolab-devel] Missing implementation for xcard properties

Thomas Brüderli bruederli at kolabsys.com
Thu Mar 15 17:16:00 CET 2012

Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> On 2012-03-14 17:26, Thomas Brüderli wrote:
>> Christian Mollekopf wrote:

>>> I'm sorry, that didn't make sense. The name of the group is of
>>> course
>>> fixed to "Affiliation".
>>> We need a default name for the org property instead, which is where
>>> suggest to put "business" (doesn't really matter what you put there
>>> though).
>>> For full support of the format Roundcube will need to support
>>> multiple
>>> affiliations with editable org-names.
>> Sorry but I guess I don't understand your suggestion. Doesn't the org
>> property contain the actual organization name? How does the
>> profession
>> property fit into this affiliation block?
>>

> Well, the approach would be to create a dummy affiliation to be able to
> set the profession somewhere.
> It's not like you can only have one profession per person, so that
> makes sense to me. Maybe don't call the organization "profession" then
> (a bit strange indeed), but something like "Private".

And which property of the affiliation block would then contain the
profession? Role? Title? None of the existing ones seems appropriate to me.

> I'm open for better suggestions =)

Kontact seems to use X-KADDRESSBOOK-X-Profession in vcards. Would a
custom property be the equivalent to that in xcard?

> It would also be possible to add a role field outside of the
> affiliation, but that would seem a bit strange as well.
>
>> BTW: I forgot to mention the 'department' property from the old
>> format
>> which also has to find it's place in the new format.
>>

> Department is part of org. The first text value denotes the
> organization, further values the organizational units within that
> organization.

In that case we need to change Affiliation::setOrganisation() to accept
a vector<std::string> instead of only a single string.

>> That sound's pretty hackish to me. The nickname solution could be
>> good
>> enough for the migration from the old format, though. But then the
>> client
>> should not display a dedicated field for initials. Otherwise the
>> order of
>> nodes becomes important if we declare the first<nickname>  to be the
>> real
>> nickname and the second to contain the initials. And what if initials
>> are
>> set but no nickname?
>>

> Yes, that certainly only meant for the migration. Not as field we
> actually maintain.
> Kontact doesn't have initials, and I don't think initials are important
> enough to do anything special about them.
> I'd like to drop initials and have nickname only.

That's fine with me.

~Thomas