[Kolab-devel] Resubmission: 4799

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Wed Feb 1 13:24:25 CET 2012

On 2011-12-07 16:37, Chris Hastie wrote:
> https://roundup.kolab.org/issue4799
>
> I would like this issue to continue to be worked on because
>
> * it's a problem on some installations

I would actually argue it is a problem on most installations, not to
say all installations, while perhaps most installations won't notice.

> * a patch was included

This *really* needs to be thought through more thoroughly.

The IMAP server to which the Kolab Webadmin needs to speak is subject
to the following;

- In Hosted environments, there may be one or more IMAP server(s) per
domain name space,

- In some environments, the IMAP server to speak to may be contained
within the 'kolabHomeServer' LDAP attribute, not to say 'mailHost',

- In some environments, the IMAP server may also be one specifically
configured address (i.e.
cyrus-murder-frontend-load-balanced.domain.tld),

- The port and TLS/SSL settings are subject to the configuration of a
deployment as well.

We have a different design for the configuration coming up[1,2], while
also attempting to replace the web administration panel with
something[3,4,5,6] a little better suited for integration with third
party user management solutions (such as GoSA) by providing an API plus
a separate frontend.

I therefore don't think its worth pursuing this for the 2.3 version of
the Kolab webadmin, as I know a variety of things throughout the 2.3
codebase, that would need to be fixed, equally relating to references to
'localhost' and other such deployment details.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

[1] http://git.kolab.org/pykolab/tree/conf/kolab.conf
[2] http://git.klab.cc/vanmeeuwen/kolab-wap/tree/lib/Conf.php