[Kolab-devel] Kola 3 development with libkolabxml or libkolab

Christian Mollekopf mollekopf at kolabsys.com
Wed Dec 5 14:14:31 CET 2012

On Monday 03 December 2012 09.21:15 Alexander Haensch wrote:
> At the moment we are interested to readout some contacts, but writing
> them is also interesting.
> I think that should be easy to do, isn't it?
> Maybe someone can provide some simple example howto extract contacts
> with libkolabxml?

Hey Alexander,

Assuming that you have full mime-messages which you need to parse and not only
the xml object, the only interface you can use right now is the one in:
libkolab/kolabformat/kolabobject.h

This one uses the KDE containers, which might or might not be what you want.
Especially if you plan to use language-bindings we'd need an interface using
the kolab containers, which hasn't been written yet, but wouldn't be a large
amount of work.

The interface in kolabobject.h is used like this:

KCalCore::Event::Ptr event(new KCalCore::Event());
event->setSummary("summary");
KMime::Message::Ptr msg = Kolab::KolabObjectWriter::writeEvent(event);
KCalCore::Event::Ptr readEvent = Kolab::KolabObjectReader(msg).getEvent();

and to create a KMime::Message from some raw data:

const QByteArray data = "a MIME message";
KMime::Message::Ptr msg = KMime::Message::Ptr(new KMime::Message);
msg->setContent( data );
msg->parse();

I have to see if I can get to writing a proper interface using the Kolab
containers soon. Patches are of course also always welcome =)

Cheers,
Christian