[Kolab-devel] KEP #11: Development and Release process outline

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Thu Sep 1 13:13:33 CEST 2011

Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 August 2011 16.39:55 Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > Other than that the KEP is fine and gets +1 from my side. More
> > suggestions and comments anybody?
>
> It looks good to me, although like you I share a certain reservation
> towards the Monday-heaviness. Mondays tend to be the most difficult days
> for some of these things because people are busy catching up with weekend
> backlogs and then trying to do what they were actually trying to do that
> day.
>
> So Mondays tend to be the least available days for most.
>
> Also, releasing on Monday means preparing the release on Sunday, so I'd
> rather move it to any of Tuesday through Friday for practical reasons.
> Releasing the community version on a Friday seems useful in so far as
> people have the weekend to test and give feedback so that on Monday we can
> go straight into fixing whatever has broken...

Yes, I know Monday is the least ideal day of the week to release. So is Friday
afternoon. Some marketing team of some large corporation has once suggested
and argumented for Tuesdays to be ideal for releases.

Note however this process outline starts the "Final Release" *process* on a
Monday, and allows for 2 weeks for this part of the process to be completed.

I recon the Phase 6 details could reflect this notion. Would that suffice for
everyone?

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--