[Kolab-devel] Is IMAP still the right choice?

Thomas Koch thomas at koch.ro
Mon Nov 21 10:41:58 CET 2011

Hi,

I'll push regular updates to my bachelor thesis[1], if my Professor agrees.
Right now I've pushed a list of advantages (short) and disadvantages (long) of
using IMAP for a groupware like Kolab does.[2]

I've the impression that IMAP may have been a good, quick choice at the
beginning of the project that should be revised now.

I'd like to propose as the subject of my bachelor thesis that I want to
outline a groupware architecture with the following properties and implement a
small part of it:

- restful protocols: portable contacts (now integrated in opensocial) and
Google's calendar API v3[3]
- NoSQL or plain files storage? CouchDB?
- CardDAV / CalDAV to reach many clients

I'd appreciate any comments on the IMAP subject or my "restful groupware"
vision. Thank you!

[1] https://github.com/thkoch2001/bachelor-thesis
[2] this link may change: http://thkoch2001.github.com/bachelor-
thesis/multi/restful_groupwarese2.html