[Kolab-devel] Kolab 2.3.1 / Horde: Does not display E-Mails

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Mon May 16 04:17:00 CEST 2011

Zitat von Hermann Himmelbauer <hermann at qwer.tk>:

> Am 15.05.2011 11:55, schrieb Hermann Himmelbauer:
>> Hi,
>> I recently installed Kolab 2.3.1 and experience the following strange issue:
>>
>> I copied some IMAP folders from my old server to my new one, which looks
>> fine when accessing these mails via Thunderbird.
>>
>> But when I look at these copied E-Mails in Horde, ~ 80% of the E-Mails
>> (the content) is not displayed (only a white blank area instead of the
>> E-Mail body/content) when selecting an E-Mail in the GUI. When I double
>> click at them, a new window opens, and it is displayed fine.
>>
>> I tried this with FF4 and Google Chrome, so it's probably no JS problem.
>>
>> Any clue how to solve this?
>>
> What's interesting is that when viewing such E-Mails that can't be
> displayed, I find the following log entry in php-errors.log:
>
> [15-May-2011 12:40:51] PHP Warning:  json_encode() [<a
> href='function.json-encode'>function.json-encode</a>]: Invalid UTF-8
> sequence in argument in /kolab/var/kolab/www/client/imp/lib/JSON.php on
> line 86
>
> This seems to be related to this problem - but I'm not sure about that.

Most likely. The function you are referring to is a rather generic
method though. It just encodes to JSON and obviously fails for because
it gets some unexpected input.

You could either try to install xdebug
(http://wiki.kolab.org/PHP_debugging) which should give you a more
detailed stack trace of the warning. Or you try to add the following
code in line 85 of /kolab/var/kolab/www/client/imp/lib/JSON.php:

if (!json_encode($var)) {
    Horde::logMessage(print_r($var, true), __FILE__, __LINE__, PEAR_LOG_ERR);
}

This would most likely output the problematic variable to the log.

Both types of output might help to identify where the problematic data
comes from. I would assume you created some kind of encoding problem
when copying data from the old to the new server.

Cheers,

Gunnar