[Kolab-devel] New KEP #10: Kolab SMTP Access Policy

Sascha Wilde wilde at intevation.de
Mon Jul 18 13:28:34 CEST 2011

Hi Jeroen,

"Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems)" <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com> writes:
> I've written an informational KEP on Kolab's SMTP Access Policy, which I would
> like you to review;
>
>   http://wiki.kolab.org/User:Kanarip/Draft:Kolab_SMTP_Access_Policy

First of all I second Gunnar's point, that it currently is not clear
what the rational behind the KEP is: does it describe existing or
planned new features:

To me it seems it does both, the "Recipient Access Policy" part
describes something which is currently not implemented, while "Sender
Access Policy" to me looks like the delegates feature only with
different wording and implementation...

Likewise the scope of the KEP is unclear to me: does it only address
low level SMTP filter mechanism or is it supposed to describe a basic
kolab filter infrastructure, intended to include all mail related
filtering?

Currently the former seems true, which is ok, albeit a bit arbitrary as
it is a rather technical criterion, which depends on the exact
implementation of some idea.  For example the infamous Kolab Mail
Filter[1], currently is implemented on a higher level, but it could (and
to match the current specification it would have to) be implemented on a
lower level and become another SMTP policy (making the MTA reject forged
mails during delivery).

To sum up my wishes:

- Clearly state the scope and intention of the KEP

- Identify which parts of the KEP are describing existing features (or
  at least are related to existing features) e.g. delegates -- and which
  parts address proposed/planned new features.

- If the KEP is supposed to describe only a certain subset of all
  mail filtering done on a Kolab server (as it currently does) it might
  be helpful to add a section on how it integrates with and/or is
  related to the other filtering components like spam/malware filter,
  Mail Filter (forged mail handling) etc.

cheers
sascha

[1]  http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Kolab_Mail_Filter
     Described on pages 48/49 in the German manual "Allgemeine
     Betriebsdokumentation", and outlined in the flow chart on page 50
     ibid.)

--
Sascha Wilde                                          OpenPGP key: 4BB86568
http://www.intevation.de/~wilde/                  http://www.intevation.de/