[Kolab-devel] z-Push encoding problem

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at kolabsys.com
Tue Jan 11 16:32:08 CET 2011

Hi Bogomil,

thanks for working on the encoding stuff.

Zitat von Bogomil Shopov <shopov at kolabsys.com>:

> Hey Alain, guys,
> I discovered that there was a serious issue with encoding uing z-push with
> Kolab. I have fixed it and commit the file into SVN.  (trunk)

The diff contains the new line

String::setDefaultCharset('UTF-8');

that we discussed on Jabber.

While this might fix the problem for Kolab Zpush the same problem
might occur in other scenarios where Kolab_Format is used as well. So
I'd much rather fully understand and potentially fix the issue within
Kolab_Format (in case it is really a problem of the library).

The only way I can reliably fix the issue - given the quality
standards that apply to Kolab_Format - is by adding another unit test
that reproduces the problem within the isolated library. That will
ensure the same problem does not suddenly pop up again with Horde4 or
at some later point in the future.

For that I would like to request three things:

  - a utf-8 encoded var_dump of the $kolabxml variable right after the
String::setDefaultCharset('UTF-8'); you introduced
  - a utf-8 encoded var_dump of the $kcontact variable right after the
String::setDefaultCharset('UTF-8'); you introduced
  - a utf-8 encoded var_dump of the $kcontact variable right after the
String::setDefaultCharset('UTF-8'); you introduced but with the
String::setDefaultCharset('UTF-8'); commented

This of course only for one contact that shows a problematic encoding.

Thanks!

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wrobel