[Kolab-devel] PHP 5.3.3 in Kolab 2.3

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at kolabsys.com
Tue Jan 11 15:48:59 CET 2011

Hi Jeroen,

Zitat von "Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems)" <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com>:

> Hi there,
>
> It seems php-5.3.3 has made it into Kolab 2.3; I'm wondering whether this is
> an actual requirement for one of the packages, and if so, which package that
> is, because the ramifications include packaging a few extra dependencies for
> various platforms as well as adjusting requirements left and right.

No, at the moment no package requires 5.3.*. At least not that I know of.

At the time when I added the PHP 5.3.* line other distributions
started marking this stable and at the same time it was suggested that
support for the 5.2.* line would be dropped soon. Actually 5.2.14 has
already been announced as the "final" version of that branch last
year. We are now at 5.2.17 so I have to admit now that the switch
might have happened too early.

On the other hand I assume that the Kolab Server 2.3.* branch will see
some long term support. If there would be no further security releases
on the PHP 5.2.* line in a few months I'd much rather stick to the
5.3.* line now to ensure our software is working on that basis.

Cheers,

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wrobel