[Kolab-devel] Roundcube requirements (was Re: On the road to Kolab 3.0)

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Dec 12 12:19:39 CET 2011

Quoting Christoph Wickert <wickert at kolabsys.com>:

> On Monday 12 December 2011 10:52:07 Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
>> I really just wanted to understand what might be the blockers when trying to
>> run roundcube on Kolab-Server-2.3.4.
>
> Please stop using the term "Kolab Server" for "Kolab distributed through
> OpenPKG". My ears are bleeding :)

I still believe it is the Kolab Server variant that is the most
available one to the community. Granted - there are some native ports
around. But they were never comparable to the OpenPKG variant. I'm not
aware that this has changed recently.

> Really, if we want Kolab to be widely adopted, we need to make sure that
> OpenPKG is just a distribution and there are other ways, too.

I'm absolutely open to that. But from a community viewpoint: What are
the alternatives you would currently suggest?

>> You indicate that the PHP version is to low. Roundcube-0.7 is apparently
>> not released yet and I did not find its exact requirements on the webpage.
>> But 0.6 depended on PHP 5.2. It is kind of hard to imagine 0.7 relies on
>> the yet unfinished PHP 5.4 (RC). And Kolab Server 2.3.4 has the stable
>> 5.3.8.
>
> Roundcube needs some PEAR modules (e.g. Net_IDNA2) or PECL extensions (pecl-
> Fileinfo) that are not packaged as OpenPKG. For others the versions
> we have as
> OpenPKG are outdated (MDB2 >= 2.5.0 plus driver for MySQL, PostgreSQL or
> SQLite).
>
> The rest (Auth-SASL, DB, Mail-Mime, Net-SMTP, Net-Socket, Mail-mimeDecode) is
> available and should suffice.
>
> More info at http://trac.roundcube.net/wiki/Howto_Requirements (unfortunately
> not as detailed as it should)

Ah, thanks for the clarification. PECL stuff is easy to add and PEAR
components can be installed into their own environment if there is a
chance that they might conflict with the existing stuff. So
installation on OpenPKG does not sound too hard.

Cheers,

Gunnar

--
Core Developer