[Kolab-devel] On the road to Kolab 3.0

Del delonly at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 11:02:55 CET 2011

Thanks for you comprehensive answer.

On Monday, December 12, 2011 10:10:04 AM Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> On Sunday 11 December 2011 23.32:53 Del wrote:
> > It will be interesting to look into the new Roundcube based
> > web-interface.
> FWIW, if you "just" want to test it on a non-productive, non-public system,
> we can set you up with an account on a test/demo instance that is under
> active development -- so may behave glitchy at times -- but would allow you
> to have a look around.

I actually prefer having KVM set up locally. I already run Kolab in KVM
alongside other virtual servers anyway, so I am very happy with your design
choice there :) Testing is where I would start, but depending on the
circumstances I may contribute in various ways.

> Whose and which developer resources are you talking about?

Everybody involved with Kolab really, meaning those of us who would like to
see Kolab fly, and spend our time and efforts trying to make it happen. From
what you are saying it sounds like the extensions to Roundcube will not be
accepted upstream, meaning that the maintenance and development
responsibilities will be solely on the shoulders of Kolab-devs. Horde on the
other hand supports full groupware functionality upstream, and already has a
history with Kolab, with all that entails. Just venting my concerns really.
Maybe Gunnar can shed some light on this?

> As to the two components you were talking about, they are obviously
> unrelated, so need to be viewed separately. The web admin is hard-coded
> against a whole set of assumptions, including a particular LDAP layout &
> schema which makes it very hard to use this in the future.

Indeed. There are some patches to include Samba functionality, but that only
underlines the point. I am pretty sure easy and flexible set-up og LDAP, if
attained, will be a major selling point for Kolab. Low threshold admin tools
for LDAP is missing in general.

> As for Horde, there are two parts to it: The framework & the client.

It is the client I am thinking of, which has been the standard web-client for
Kolab for quite some time now.

Thanks for the pointers to welcome contributions.

Cheers,
Del