[Kolab-devel] On the road to Kolab 3.0

Christoph Wickert wickert at kolabsys.com
Mon Dec 12 01:09:20 CET 2011

On Sunday 11 December 2011 22:41:15 Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> Quoting "Georg C. F. Greve" <greve at kolabsys.com>:
> >
> > Due to the shortcomings of OpenPKG there is simply no way we can provide
> > this on OpenPKG, however, so we've been working on a KVM image that can
> > be run against a 2.3.* Kolab Server which Jeroen should provide an
> > update for in the next days.
>
> Can you clarify on those "shortcomings"?

- Does not build/install on recent systems
- Does not integrate with distributions
- Needs dedicated user accounts
- No automatic updates
- Limited package pool

> Not that I would like OpenPKG. But as Roundcube is a PHP application it
> should be possible to install it into the Kolab Server on OpenPKG.

It requires a database server such as Postgres and MySQL, this in turn
requires a new (apache-)php package.

> Would be far easier
> than a KVM which does not sound like a good solution to be honest.

Why? The KVM image gives people a chance to test it in a clean environment and
we can be sure that their environment matches ours when they file bugs. It's
all about reproducibility.

> Or are there instructions on how to get the same thing on the Kolab
> Server as well?

What is "the Kolab Server"?

If you mean the OpenPKG based server, please have a look at
http://wiki.kolab.org/Kolab2_Integration_with_MySQL and
http://wiki.kolab.org/Install_Roundcube_on_Kolab

Regards,
Christoph