[Kolab-devel] On the road to Kolab 3.0

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Fri Dec 9 15:01:04 CET 2011

Hi all,

As you may have seen from the news, there is now a new web client for the
Kolab Server, based upon the popular Roundcube Webmailer. The new client
supports email, address book and calendar, a KEP 14 compliant sieve editor and
has a nice user interface to configure mobile phone synchronization.

You can see some screen shots in the media release:

	http://kolabsys.com/index.php/resources/123-08-december-2011-

The new web client has been developed in a sprint with and for a customer we
cannot name, but all code has been up-streamed (giving the world the upcoming
0.7 release of Roundcube) or will be provided through our git repositories
where Roundcube itself did not want to host the code, as it went beyond what
the Roundcube core wants to provide, or was too Kolab specific.

Naturally we're sure that many of you want to get your hands on this
technology and play with it - in particular as Roundcube has a very easy to
extend modular design and allows all sorts of plug-ins. So there is a lot of
potential for extension and customization here.

Due to the shortcomings of OpenPKG there is simply no way we can provide this
on OpenPKG, however, so we've been working on a KVM image that can be run
against a 2.3.* Kolab Server which Jeroen should provide an update for in the
next days.

The work was furthermore  done on an experimental 2.4 branch which includes
some cleanup of LDAP idiosyncrasies, so the old web admin will no longer work
against this. As it does not seem sensible to re-implement a static web admin,
we have begun developing a configuration API for the server against which the
new web admin and other administration tools can work.

You can find some of the work in progress at:

	http://wiki.kolab.org/User:Bruederli/Draft:Kolab_Webadmin_API

Once this provides a basic functional level, we intend to push this out as
packages for a 3.0-development branch that should be installable and deliver a
somewhat working system, but is not intended for production or even serious
personal use.

That will also be the starting point for the development towards Kolab 3.0,
because we're now at the stage where it is no longer possible to address some
of the issues in a purely non-breaking incremental fashion.

For that, quite some more things are planned, from the format adaptations that
have been discussed and partially already agreed upon on kolab-format@, to
more exciting things like Server Side Akonadi. You can find some of the
conceptual thinking on this last point here:

	http://wiki.kolab.org/User:Greve/ServerSideAkonadi

There is a bit more, and we are planning to provide a full roadmap, but we
would already very much like to invite you to participate in the next
development cycle.

We'll be exchanging some of the "goldie but oldie" components against
technologies that are more modern, modular, and extensible, so there will be
plenty of opportunity for you to participate in various stages of the process.

For those who wish to contribute we can provide virtual machines to experiment
on, as well as automated builds an so on, and we would very much like you to
let us know what else you might find useful in order to get involved.

We plan to use this cycle to try and work with the KEP describing the
development and release process which you can find detailed at

http://wiki.kolab.org/User:Kanarip/Draft:Development_and_Release_Process

so if you want to propose features as per that process guideline, please go
ahead. The release of Kolab 3.0 would then take place around May/June 2012.

So, lots of exciting things ahead. We hope you'll be part of that. :)

Best regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve