[Kolab-devel] ASCII representation of unicode characters

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Mon Dec 5 11:07:33 CET 2011

On 2011-12-05 9:40, Aleksander Machniak wrote:
> On 05.12.2011 10:31, Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) wrote:
>
>> I have created a table of characters going from  through to
>> Ѐ[2] (there's more[3]) and I am seeking a logical, codified
>> approach to "normalizing" as much of the unicode to ascii. I would
>> appreciate your help in outlining what the rules would need to
>> be(come).
>
> You could try using iconv with //TRANSLIT.
>

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4910627/php-iconv-translit-for-removing-accents-not-working-as-excepted

I don't think this is satisfactory, iconv() outputs, given the
following code-snippet:

     $original = 'Ü';
     $translated = iconv('UTF-8', 'ASCII//TRANSLIT', $original);
     print "$original\t$translated\n";

$ php unicode-to-ascii.php
Ü	U
ü	u
$

We currently use 'ue' as the substitute for 'ü' however
(bruederli at kolabsys.com for Thomas, for example).

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--