[Kolab-devel] Thoughts on Caching for Integrated Apps

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Sat Apr 16 15:29:45 CEST 2011

Mathieu Parent wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 2011/4/16 Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com>:
> > Hello there,
> >
> > I figured some of you may have a level of interest in;
> >
> > http://planet.ergo-project.org/blog/jmeeuwen/2011/04/16/thoughts-kolab-an
> > d-3rd-party-application-caching
> >
> > > Suggestion #3: Use Cyrus IMAP
>
> Why not enhance IMAP to have faster queries (something like syncrepl)?
>
> The following is already implemented in cyrus-imap: "IMAP4 Extensions
> for Quick Mailbox Resynchronization"
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5162.txt

This is a SELECT extension, which still includes having to use the IMAP
protocol to obtain a list of folders, iterate over them to retrieve
annotations, etc.

QRESYNC is very useful, most certainly, and potentially gives applications
("clients" in this case) great performance boosts.

In fact, come to think of it, QRESYNC could be a KEP in and by itself, if not
even just 'informational'. I would definitely be interested in pursuing
implementation throughout various Kolab smart clients.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--
Senior Engineer, Kolab Systems AG