[Kolab-devel] Changes to master branch

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Sat Apr 16 12:08:39 CEST 2011

Hello,

I wanted to (quickly) decribe the changes I planned to bring to the master
branch of the current server GIT repository;

- split out kolab-webadmin, as-is.

  Done, see http://git.kolab.org/kolab-webadmin/

- split out perl-Kolab, and reduce it to hold the perl libraries only.

  Done, see http://git.kolab.org/perl-Kolab/

- split out kolabd and remaining utilities

  - ultimately, 'kolab-conf' as a utility, along with its templates, and
perhaps even it's perl library / packages, will also become its own repository
(as it is an optional component to a Kolab Groupware deployment, and is
mutually exclusive with other configuration management suites -to some
extent).

- split out the kolab schema, because that is a dev/release cycle of its own
completely (backwards, forwards compatibility, deemed stable in the very long-
term, should not be changed lightly, etc.)

  This last bits have not yet been completed, nor completely defined, as of
this writing.

Each of these would become its own GIT repository, reducing the ties between
these codebases in the GIT repository that is primarily geared towards
complete OpenPKG application stack releases, and freeing up the ability to
apply disjunct development and release cycles to each of said components, all
consequences of such included.

I have a list of requirements for each of these three components, that results
in a post-2.3 development cycle and demands a very short turnover. I think is
not unreasonable to have the short turnover be applied to the respective
codebases themselves, in a separate repository, enabling the release of
tarballs, with their own versioning policy applied to them, without calling
for an OpenPKG release -these changes are required both for native packaging
as well as a variety of deployment scenarios Kolab Systems is looking to
implement with customers.

The 'server.git' repository, for as far as the master branch is concerned,
with having split up these three components, then becomes a repository
sepecifically geared toward OpenPKG packaging only. I presume those
maintainers interested in OpenPKG releases and updates would choose to switch
to use external sources like is the case with many of the other Kolab
components.

The '2.3-stable' branch, up and until now at least, remains *untouched*, or,
in other words, I'll *not* be applying the aforementioned repository or code
changes to the '2.3-stable' branch.

If you have any questions, please note I've currently got very limited time -
hence the "working during the weekend", and I might take a little while to get
back to you.

Thank you in advance, for your patience and understanding,

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--
Senior Engineer, Kolab Systems AG