[Kolab-devel] Cyrus IMAP 2.5 Likely to Drop ANNOTATEMORE Support

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Wed Apr 13 15:59:55 CEST 2011

Hello all,

Cyrus IMAP 2.5 and beyond is likely to drop support for ANNOTATEMORE[1],
pursuing full compliancy with the METADATA[2] RFC.

I figured I would give you this heads-up, as future generations of the Kolab
product will ultimately include Cyrus IMAP 2.5.

I'm interested to hear from our various IMAP client implementors, whether or
not, and if so, to what extent, this may pose any problems for them. Noted of
course, client implementors would be required to both be compatible with
ANNOTATEMORE as well as METADATA for as long as legacy Kolab deployments are
considered supported. This would include any deployments that are considered
using the current version of Kolab today, as well as future deployments of
Kolab including Cyrus IMAP prior to 2.5.

Regrettably, in terms of back- and forward compatibility, we have no approved
processes, let alone solid timelines, on product development, release and
support cycles.

This means Cyrus IMAP 2.5 could be included anywhere in between now and the
end of this century... consequently meaning backwards compatiblity would need
to preserved for at least as long as we have no general availability release
including Cyrus IMAP 2.5.

That said, ultimately, I would want to push out a full KEP on the subject as
well.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-daboo-imap-annotatemore-17.txt