[Kolab-devel] Closing Call for KEP #5: Product Versioning

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Mon Apr 4 15:22:58 CEST 2011

Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Montag, 14. März 2011, 14:09:06 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab
Systems):
> > Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > > Currently we
> > > have packages that get recompiled against newer dependencies and still
> > > have the same name-version-release, so the package name is exactly the
> > > same and there is no way to distinguish the new package from the old. I
> > > consider this one of the biggest problems with our OpenPKG packages and
> > > we must make sure that we fix it. This being said we MUST increase the
> > > teeny version for both packages as well as for the overall Kolab
> > > solution.
> >
> > I think this concern goes to package release -with regards to the package
> > NEVRA- more so then the version component of the upstream product,
> > correct?
>
> Yes, but the KEP also covers packaging, right?

It covers the relation between software released "upstream" and packaging, but
merely supplies some of the rationale of upstream product versioning to make
the side of packaging more easy, more consistent across the board, rather then
setting the standards for packaging as well -or at least, that was the
intention anyways.

> But what about the things I mentioned in my previuos mail and that you
> trimmed in your response. They are more important to me than the question
> whether we have one digit more or less.

We would want both packaging systems to be able to do what they need to do
based on the same versioning scheme upstream -as that is always and will
always be the "consistent", common denominator between the various downstreams
(apt, rpm).

Note that the KEP is on server product versioning, and how it relates to
packaging.

Perhaps I should simply remove the sections on Native Packaging entirely to
then make these seperate KEPs for seperate native packaging technologies.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--
Senior Engineer, Kolab Systems AG