[Kolab-devel] Packaging the kolab-webadmin package

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at kolabsys.com
Tue Sep 21 09:27:06 CEST 2010

Zitat von Mathieu Parent <math.parent at gmail.com>:

> I will try to summarize my opinion:
>
> +1 to separate packaging and code
>
> +1 to have all php Kolab_* in git.horde.org (for kolab-webadmin:
> probably not). aka keep it like today
>
> +1 to have a git mirror of git.horde.org on git.kolab.org
> this will allow us to have local changes easily mergeable (what Gunnar
> was doing on github before should be doable by every kolab
> contributors)
>
> As kolab-webadmin will be tied to Horde libs, manage kolab-webadmin
> code on git.kolab.org.
>
> Then, we will have two repositories :
> - git.kolab.org: for all PHP code
> - hg.kolab.org: for all non-PHP code and for packaging

Would be fine for me, too.

> I think having two dVCS is not a big issue but still it requires more
> work to become a contributor.
>
> I don't prefer git over hg, but as horde as chosen git...

I wager Thomas and me would find ways to keep a mercurial mirror of
the horde git repository that still enables me to be the arbiter for
patch integration into Horde git. Something like mirroring git without
allowing real commit access to the repo but enabling to use the
pbranch extension for patch management on top of the base repo. Don't
know if that would work but having a patch queue would be the way to
go anyway.

In any case perl-kolab, kolabd and kolabd-webadmin should all allow
source releases now and I'd be ready to split the sources from the
packaging once we agree on the destination location.

> Thomas:
>> On the other hand I am still of the opinion that Mercurial is more
>> suitable for many people not knowing SCMs yet or only knowing
>> CVS/SVN.
>
> True, but git can be made easier by rebasing by default instead of merging:
>
> $ git config branch.master.rebase true
>
> About the initial question of Gunnar ("I would like to urge all
> packagers [...] to look into these changes and to check if what I did
> makes sense"): Yes it makes sense, and I will look deeper once kolab
> is in a good shape to go in squeeze (I will write it in issue1066).

Thanks!

Cheers,

Gunnar

> Regards