[Kolab-devel] State of the Wiki

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Thu Sep 9 16:03:33 CEST 2010

To all: Please tell us if we should keep this discussion off-list,
but I think it is good to let you know what happens to your wiki.

* Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com> [20100909 13:26]:
> Thomas Arendsen Hein wrote:
> > I think I'll send you a certificate for *.kolab.org, then
> > hg.kolab.org, wiki-testing.kolab.org, wiki.kolab.org and whatever
> > can co-exist on that machine without wasting IPv4 addresses.
>
> That'd be nice. For a wildcard cert, this same IP address could be used (I had
> mistakenly put down 108 while I meant to say 109... freudian typo...)

wildcard cert sent in private mail,
DNS A record wiki-testing.kolab.org -> 108 is now available

> > Since wiki.kolab.org was already intended to be administratable by
> > external people, I can give you root access to this machine.
> > Please send me your public ssh key for this purpose.
>
> Sent to you in private.

Installed.

> > We could even strip down the downtime further by forwarding ports 80
> > and 443 from the old machine to the new, but I think this is not
> > needed here.
>
> It's not about negating the downtime; there must be some downtime in which the
> migration is performed and edits do not make it from the old to the new
> deployment. It seems reasonable to put that downtime right in front of the
> downtime that was inherent to the server moving physically and shorten it by
> flipping the switch nice and early (e.g. way before 07:30).
>
> > Btw, I if you can make a DNS A record (e.g. kolabwiki.kolabsys.com)
> > pointing to 78.47.251.61 with a short timeout, I can replace the A
> > record on wiki.kolab.org with a CNAME pointing there, so you have
> > full control over the time of switching. After the migration this
> > can either be kept (so you can change IPs if needed) or changed
> > back into an A record.
>
> A good idea, but I don't actually administer the kolabsys.com DNS myself,
> Georg has it registered and maintains it. I've let him know this is going to
> be a little problematic and we'll see what we can do about it before Sept.
> 23rd. To Be Continued.

Until then I'll keep the A record.

I suggest you'll do the migration before noon of 23rd (could be 21st
or 22nd, too) and forward the tcp ports to the new machine when
you're ready. Using rinetd this is trivial, I just added forwarding
from non-default ports:
  http://wiki.kolab.org:81/
  https://wiki.kolab.org:444/

Just change 81 and 444 to 80 and 443 in /etc/rinetd.conf, and run
"/etc/init.d/apache2 stop && /etc/init.d/rinetd restart" when you
want to do the final switch.

I will then change the DNS record and the world should know it well
before 22:15.

The wiki currently has no incoming email support. Just tell me if
you need any forwardings for things like email confirmation. This
can be added before the actual switch.

Regards,
Thomas

--
thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrueck - AG Osnabrueck, HR B 18998