[Kolab-devel] State of the Wiki

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Thu Sep 9 13:04:18 CEST 2010

* Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com> [20100908 23:26]:
> Thomas Arendsen Hein wrote:
> > * Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com> [20100908
> 14:29]:
> > > In discussions over IRC (and some email), it appeared that the Wiki is in
> > > state that could use some attention / improvements.
> > >
> > > I would like to propose the following plan to address some of those
> issues;
> > >
> > > - Prepare a wiki-testing.kolab.org site on Kolab Systems infrastructure,
> on a
> > > currently platform,
> >
> > Just tell me the IP, I'll add it to the DNS.
>
> 178.209.35.108 should suffice. I propose that if we migrate over the database
> we also start out directly by using a proper wiki-testing.kolab.org
> certificate, if that's not too much trouble.

I think I'll send you a certificate for *.kolab.org, then
hg.kolab.org, wiki-testing.kolab.org, wiki.kolab.org and whatever
can co-exist on that machine without wasting IPv4 addresses.

> > I can send you the mysql dump and whatever you need.
>
> A MySQL dump would be nice to start out with, sure.

Since wiki.kolab.org was already intended to be administratable by
external people, I can give you root access to this machine.
Please send me your public ssh key for this purpose.

> > > - Test functionality,
> > > - On September 23rd, when downtime is inherent to the Intevation server
> moving
> > > data centers, flip the switch to the new Wiki -only if the former action
> > > points are successful, of course.
> >
> > This will be between 22:30 and 07:30 (hopefully). I propose doing
> > the switch earlier on the 23rd.
>
> I suppose with DNS and the server being moved and the new wiki, people are
> bound to hit some sort of trouble anyways. Arguably, this is the kind of
> trouble one should avoid on a Saturday evening, maybe by stepping away from
> the keyboard ;-)
>
> However, I do not have any objections against flipping the switch some time
> before 22:30 -it's just that since this service window is here, it seemed like
> a nice window to reduce the pain for everyone.

The old wiki.kolab.org will go down that evening. To shorten the
unavailablility, the new wiki should be up before this. With DNS
timeout set to e.g. one hour, the downtime will be _much_ shorter
than 22:15-07:30.

We could even strip down the downtime further by forwarding ports 80
and 443 from the old machine to the new, but I think this is not
needed here.

Btw, I if you can make a DNS A record (e.g. kolabwiki.kolabsys.com)
pointing to 78.47.251.61 with a short timeout, I can replace the A
record on wiki.kolab.org with a CNAME pointing there, so you have
full control over the time of switching. After the migration this
can either be kept (so you can change IPs if needed) or changed
back into an A record.

Regards,
Thomas

--
thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrueck - AG Osnabrueck, HR B 18998