[Kolab-devel] CVS to Mercurial conversion

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Thu Sep 2 20:00:36 CEST 2010

Christoph Wickert wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 September 2010 18:56:11 Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> > Zitat von Thomas Arendsen Hein <thomas at intevation.de>:
> > >
> > > So I think these are appropriate tag names:
> > > 2.2.4-rc2
> > > hosted-2.2.4-rc2 or 2.2.4-rc2-hosted
> > > debian-2.2.4-rc2 or 2.2.4-rc2-debian
> >
> > Definitely "hosted-2.2.4-rc2" as "hosted" as suffix looks like it
> > might be part of the version number.
>
> I think -hosted, -debian and whatever should be suffixes. Usually the naming
> scheme is major.minor.tiny, so the code in common is at the beginning. The
> same should apply to the tags:
> * 2.2.4-hosted and 2.2.4-debian are both based on 2.2.4.
> * Both will be rebased against the mainline 2.2.5, 2.3, whatnot code again
and
> it's not the mainline code that get's rebased against the Debian or hosted
> patches.
>
> As you can see, -debian and -hosted are  part of the *version*, although not
> of a version *number*.

There's one big difference here, which I think you may be overlooking;

"hosted" is a product series, whereas

"debian" is a native packaging effort based on releases.

I'll try and illustrate the point;

== Kolab tags ==

A "Kolab tag" is saying; this is the exact point at which the sources have
been released by upstream as such and such version of the Kolab product.

Sane tags in this category would include;

- kolab-2.2.4
- kolab-3.0alpha2

== Hosted Kolab tags ==

A "Hosted Kolab tag" would do exactly the same, but for the "Hosted" product
series.

Sane tags in this category would include;

- hosted-kolab-2.2.4.1 (based on kolab-2.2.4 maybe? is immediately indicated)
- hosted-kolab-3.0alpha2

And, since we're making Kolab this awesome one-size-fits-all product, for real
3.0 releases we might even be able to drop the entire hosted- as a product
series.

However, the hosted consumers do require a different support stream, so
keeping the tags for what we release through the appropriate distribution
channels would still be sensible (even if they keep ending up on the same scm
object).

== Debian tags ==

If there's anything to tag for "debian" in the upstream SCM, then I'd argue
this would be:

Where:

- product is one of "kolab-webadmin", "hosted-kolab-webadmin"
- version is 2.2.4, 3.0alpha2, etc.
- release is 0.x for pre-releases packaged, 1+ for actual releases packaged
- dist is "lenny", "squeeze", "laughlin", "tikanga"

An example would be:

- kolab-cyrus-imapd-2.3.16-0.1.squeeze

Kind regards,

--