[Kolab-devel] (fwd) how to deal with quotas / suggested feature "monthly quota increase"

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Thu Sep 2 10:03:09 CEST 2010

Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> Zitat von Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh at gcd.ie>:
> > I propose to introduce a simple linear quota increase scheme in our
> > organisation.  A new user starts with a standard quota of C.  Then, each
> > fixed period (probably month), we increase the quota by a standard amount
> > M.
> > 	Q(t) = M*t + C
> >

> The script managing the quota probably would not be the problem. What
> I'm not certain about is adding the "M" value as a new LDAP attribute.
> Changes to the LDAP schema usually don't make me too happy. They are
> easy to add but usually also need to be maintained. The are many
> configuration variables one could set for a user but whether keeping
> these in LDAP in really a sensible approach is another matter.
>
> Of course the kolabInetOrgPerson already offers the quota setting
> "cyrus-userquota". So it seems natural adding such a new setting close
> to it.
>
> Jeroen, you have been looking at improving the LDAP schema lately. Can
> I get your opinion here?

Let's forget about cyrus-userquota. *POOF*! Just like that.

Let's take a more generic name for the quota the mail environment uses, such
as, maybe, mailQuota from "LDAP Schema for Internet Mail" - or the Netscape
schema[1].

For the purpose of OP, let's have a look at this message:

  http://lists.andrew.cmu.edu/pipermail/info-cyrus/2009-July/031300.html

The combination of cyrus_get_quota.pl and cyrus_ldap_quota.pl should get you
started.

Storing the routine in LDAP though is not feasible; Maybe you only want this
for road warriors, or any other subset of the LDAP entries, maybe you want it
per domain. I think it's better to avoid storing such in LDAP.

Kind regards,

[1] http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/43/I-D/draft-srivastava-ldap-mail-00.txt

--
Jeroen van Meeuwen