[Kolab-devel] (fwd) how to deal with quotas / suggested feature "monthly quota increase"

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Thu Sep 2 09:41:52 CEST 2010

Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been mulling over how we deal with quotas for a while now.  We haven't
> really been too rigorous with them up to now, but I'd like to change that.
> At the same time, I'd like to reduce the workload associated with
> maintaining them.

I'm not sure I fully understand what the purpose is of this feature.

In my experience, there's no difference between a user hitting their quota and
a user hitting their quota. The user can have its quota increased (possibly,
there's additional cost?) or clean up its mailbox -like, most of the time it's
the Trash/Junk folder filling up, haha ;-)

Having said that, maybe I'm misunderstanding your workload. If so, please
enlighten me!

Suppose you're trying to prevent all too many users requesting quota increases
all the time, -or reducing the workload associated with maintaining them; I
would argue you may have set too small quota to begin with, or not consistent
with the type of users in an organization if you will.

Suppose you just can't be bothered with quota, you should remove them
entirely.

Kind regards,

--
Jeroen van Meeuwen