[Kolab-devel] CVS to Mercurial conversion

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at kolabsys.com
Wed Sep 1 18:36:46 CEST 2010

Zitat von Mathieu Parent <math.parent at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at kolabsys.com> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> We are finally getting ready to migrate from CVS to Mercurial. There are two
>
> Great!
>
>> If we agree on a common tag/branch naming pattern
> I don't know if we should have a different scheme for tags and
> branches. Why not use SERVER_x_y for both?
>
> branch SERVER_2_3_BRANCH
> tags SERVER_2_3_0_beta1 SERVER_2_3_0_final or SERVER_2_3_0_release
>
> also don't forget the branch "master", "default" or "trunk" (it seems
> that "default" is the ...default).

I'd like to use dots rather than underscores to make it look exactly
like the version number we publish (at least for tags). That should
make it slightly easier to link the tags to the releases.

>>  - Is the listed mail address the correct one?
> yes for mine.
>
>>  - I tried identifying the most recent mail addresses for the persons with
>>   commit access. Is this what we want to use or should we use old addresses
>> if
>>   we are certain those were being used when the person was actively working
>> on
>>   the Kolab server?
> Newer address is better IMO.

I thought about this again: I'm pretty certain that there will be no
need to contact somebody concerning commits that happened years ago in
the Kolab 1 phase. So it makes more sense to use any old address
rather than trying to search the web for the current address that
might be inaccurate, too.

>>  - Should we send a mail to all the people on the list and get verification
>> of
>>   the addresses?
> Yes. But it is not a problem if the address has been deleted: deleted
> address is better than no address.

Definitely better than no address, yes.

>>  - Should we use Umlauts in the names or not?
> Why not? Mercurial is UTF-8 and we may have an indian, russian,
> chinese, ... contributors in the future. Mozilla does
> (http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/d0eec00d977c) ;)

Absolutely fine with me. I was just asking in case someone already
knew there might be problems associated with this (whether on the side
of mercurial or in combination with any kind of important system
working together with the mercurial repository.

Thanks for your feedback!

Cheers,

Gunnar

> Regards